Polystyrene is the ideal form of protective packaging and its characteristics make it suitable for many different applications.
The main features of polystyrene are that it is lightweight which helps reduce transportation costs and facilitates easy loading and unloading when the product arrives at its destination.
Fresh or frozen foods need to be kept within specified temperature ranges during transit. Bulk shipments are often made using refrigerated transport, but for smaller shipments, particularly those using couriers, this is not possible. This is why using temperature controlled packaging such as polystyrene is of advantageous, it will help keep products within the correct temperature range, thus making sure your produce arrives fresh and unspoilt
Uses for Polystyrene
Polystyrene is a very strong material and will not fall apart or be dented easily by rough treatment. This ability to absorb shocks helps with the protection of the contents and prevents extra cost, replacing broken or damaged items.
The main benefit of polystyrene however is that it is extremely versatile as the properties it has allow it to be moulded into virtually any shape to match individual project specifications.
Some of the applications that Polystyrene can be used for are given below:
- Climate control – keeps fresh produce cool during transportation so that it arrives at its destination in perfect condition.
- Strength – the strength of expanded polystyrene makes it suitable for supporting a great deal of weight.
- Mail order – useful for sending items through the post as few, if any, breakage’s will occur and because polystyrene is light in weight, the cost of postage will also be reduced.
- Protection of goods – by using polystyrene, goods will arrive at their destination in perfect condition. This is especially true for items such as televisions, video recorders, bottles and other products that can be easily broken.
- Energy saving – can be used for cavity wall, floor and loft insulation.
- Energy source – when recycled, polystyrene gives out a high portion of heat that can be recovered through special heat recovery incinerators.
- Plant protection – this ensures that the perfect circumstances for nourishment of plants will be maintained and facilitate growth.